Updated: Aug 16, 2022
Did you realize that when you use your earbuds that come with your phone you could be damaging your hearing? Ya. Me either.
The World Health Organization (WHO) says that around 1.1 billion teenagers and young adults are at risk of hearing loss due to the unsafe use of personal audio devices, including smartphones, and exposure to damaging levels of sound at noisy entertainment venues such as nightclubs, bars, and sporting events. Hearing loss has potentially devastating consequences for physical and mental health, education, and employment.
If you’re shopping for headphones for your kids, the safest option is a pair that limits the maximum volume. Out of 20 models tested by USA Today earlier this year, the best one is the Puro BT2200 volume limiting wireless on-ears.
They are best and the price reflects it. They are well built, colorful and have great sound. Genuine studio grade audio, engineered to deliver an amazing listening experience with clear, crisp vocals and full, dynamic bass all within 85 dB volume limit. They are a bit too big for a toddler, but they should fit school-age children and up quite well.
I love them for my grandkids. They are comfortable and even though they are still young they understand that they can listen to music on them and I don’t have to worry about their hearing.
Noise-induced hearing loss can start showing up in even young children, and it can have long-term impacts on their academic performance. Buying volume-limiting headphones over the regular cheaper models is important because even cheap earbuds can dangerously exceed the levels recommended by health experts. Many volume-limiting headphones are capable of exceeding their advertised limits with nothing more powerful than an iPhone.
More than 60% of childhood hearing loss is due to preventable causes. Experts recommend a max volume of 85dB for no more than 60min/day. For adults, noise exposure is considered hazardous after 8 hours at 85dB(a). An iPhone’s earbuds can easily average 105dB at full volume, which can be hazardous after just a few minutes.