How To Eat Healthier When Eating Out
When eating at a restaurant, the food always tend to look, smell and taste better… I think it’s usually because I don’t have to cook! Although going out to eat is lovely, when trying to eat healthier, it can be overwhelming to try and make the healthy choice.
Here are some tips on how to eat healthier when eating out.
1. Check out the menu before heading to the restaurant. Being aware of what is on the menu before going and making a choice befo can reduce the stress of having to choose a healthier choice once sitting at the table.
2. Don’t go to the restaurant starving.
We all know how this goes. You haven’t eaten much all day and you get to the restaurant and want to eat everything in sight! Make sure to have meals and snacks throughout the day to avoid the extreme hunger at the restaurant.
3. Drink lots of water before, during and after your meal. Drinking water can help fill us up so that we are only eating just enough to satisfy our needs.
4. Ask how the meal is cooked. When going to a restaurant, we can order something that we think is healthy, like a chicken breast or a piece of fish, but we don’t know what it’s cooked in. Most restaurants tend to use plenty of butter, oil and salt when cooking so better to ask the waiter how your food will be cooked and make the necessary adjustments.
5. Swap sides.
Ask to swap your fries for a salad or veggies!
6. Ask for sauces and dressings on the side.
Restaurants tend to over use sauces and dressings so ask for them on the side to control how much is going on the food. 7. Ask for a half portion or share with someone. Portions can be huge at restaurants. How to fix this problem? Ask for a half portion or share with someone at your table. 8. Have a coffee/tea instead of dessert. If you feel left out when others are having dessert, have a coffee or tea to still feel like you’re getting that after dinner treat.
9. Eat slowly.
Enjoy every bite of your food. We tend to get full quicker when we eat slower.
10. Have a salad or soup before your main meal.
Choose a soup or salad to have before the meal to fill you up on a healthier option before the main dinner.
These are tips when choosing to eat healthier, but we all know we need to indulge every once in a while as well! Listen to your body and see how it feels. Everything in moderation!