I have always struggled to use products with any types of chemicals. It irritates my skin in so many different ways. After many sessions with my naturopath, I was given a guide to what I should and shouldn’t be using on my skin that is causing these reactions.
One thing my skin can not bare is makeup full of chemicals. I have a really hard time with it. So I have really started to make the switch to organic make up since it is all natural.
Why make the switch?
Most makeup brands are creating products that are full of irritants which are being absorbed into our skin, which then can cause side effects.
According to the article, “Why Switch to All Natural Cosmetics?” by Lori Stryker, skin absorbs 60% of the products that are placed onto it, meaning all the make up chemicals are not just sitting on the skin but entering the body and being deposited into the blood stream.
Ingredients to Avoid According to The Eco Guide
Certain essential oils (Rosemary is harmful to epileptics.Sage is not recommended for pregnant women)
DEA, MEA, TEA
Genetically Modified Organisms
Sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate
The Benefits of Organic Makeup
1. Organic make up contain organic vegetable oil and essential oils that are great for creating a natural feel and texture, as well as being a rich moisturizer because of the fatty acids and vitamins present in these oils.
2. A much lesser chance of having a reaction on the skin since it is natural.
3. The majority of organic makeup companies do not conduct animal testing.
4. Organic makeup does not have endocrine disruptors, which are chemicals that mimic, change hormone production or the system carrying them. These endocrine disruptors have been linked to mood swings, hormonal imbalances, fertility issues and cancer.
5. It is good for the environment, where since it is more nutrient rich and tends to contain more vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, therefore not causing as many pollutants from entering the body.
The Negative Side of Organic Makeup
1. Since there are no preservative, organic makeup products do not have as long of a shelf life and expiry more quickly than non-organic products.
2. Organic make up is not waterproof or water resistant.
3. Without any preservatives, organic makeup can not be kept free of bacteria that enters into the bottle. There are no preservatives to kill of this bacteria.
4. Just because it is organic does not mean it is safe for everyone to use. Organic makeup can still have strong product in it that can cause irritation, specifically for those with sensitive skin. It is important to do a patch test to make sure there is no reaction before applying.
Products to Shop
Burt’s Bees Blush - Shop Here
Burt’s Bees Concealer - Shop Here
Burt’s Bees Mascara - Shop Here
Making the switch to organic makeup can really help those that struggle with irritation, but it is also great for all. With the amount of absorption from our skin, it begs the questions of if we really want all those chemicals to be absorbed into our skin.
Source: The Eco Guide